Wednesday, March 30, 2016

OUGD404 Studio Brief 01 - How do you read? - Design

After collecting all the information I need for my colour theory leaflet I was able to start designing how it would be laid out. Unfortunately the information did not fit on my original idea of a tri - gate fold. So, I decided to turn it into a 'z' fold so that I could utilise more of the space. On a previous project when doing a front and back print I have had problems with the crop and fold marks lining up accurately, I hope that when I come to test this for print I do not come across the same problem.

Each page is 14cm x 14cm square. This will make the total length when put together 42cm which is the same size length as A3. Therefore I will print on A3 so that there is less waste.

I applied a 3cm bleed and used rulers to apply the appropriate crop and fold marks.

Typeface: Avenir Next
I used this typeface because it is bold and modern, the curves of the letters add a friendly yet informative tone.

Front cover:
I wanted the front cover to be colourful, striking and interesting. I wanted to play around with the position of type to produce a more interesting composition while also looking at how size can also help make more of an impact. I think this has worked reasonably well and the cover is compelling.

The rest of the pages:
I kept the title central at the top of each page. The body text is kept in one long column, flushed left across the page. Images were placed appropriately to work with and around the text. I only wanted to use one column as there is only a small amount of space to work with and didn't want the design to become too cramped.

Final Design:



I decided to do a test print to see how it would physically look.







This proved to be really successful as I was able to fully visualise what It would look like and I was able to see how the information properly flowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment