Monday, November 13, 2017

OUGD603 Brief 02: Design

Design:

I began by experimenting with different patterns using the golden ratio.










Im going to work further with the 1st and 3rd pattern as I think these produce the most pleasing shapes. 

I decided to use the words Beauty, Form and Function. I want the letterforms to be at various sizes to create an abstract image and to be able to fit within the areas.

Futura - geometric, even.



Helvetica - dense, compact, neutral.



I cut out all the type and arranged it within the pattern. I then glued them down in variating position where only some of the letterform is visible making it more of an ambiguous design.

Futura, pattern 1:



I then scanned in the best designs to work with them digitally, smoothing out the lines.

Helvetica pattern 1:




Futura pattern 2:






To decide which design I wanted to submit I printed them out, I decided to do this on yellow stock to reflect the 'golden' ratio. I also inverted the colours of the design to produce different striking effects.






I showed the different variations to some people within my class, after discussing through which one worked the best it was felt that the last design should be submitted. This is due to it having a more complex design that creates intrigue, the ambiguous letter-forms appear within the spaces in interesting ways. The bolder letterforms also create a contrast, standing out in comparison to the lines of the pattern. Having the fill as black with the yellow coming through provides a high contrast which makes it stand out. 

I wanted to keep the colour the same as on the paper so I decided to scan the design back in.


No comments:

Post a Comment