Monday, October 19, 2015

OUGD403 Blogging Lecture / Workshop

Today with Simon we looked at how to appropriately blog and evaluate our work instead of just listing the things we did. From this I now know for the Logotype brief the relevant research to do - In depth about the company, competitors, rebrands within sectors and typographic/branding designers.

We got together and looked at blogs to create a glossary of terms we can use in our own work. I found this invaluable as I really struggle with using terminology, so hopefully this will help me improve my writing when evaluating.





I then went on to a design blog called 'The Dieline' which focuses on packaging and branding, defining and promoting the best from a range of designers. I found a blog post on branding for a beer company and decided to evaluate their design.

MacLeod Ale Brewing Co.
Designed by Jeremiah McNulty Design




Pictures taken from http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2015/10/11/macleod-ale-brewing-co

The MacLeod logo is boldly highlighted as the main focus on the packaging design, it is clear and would stand out amongst other brands. I can easily see this as an iconic logo for there company and it is functional to use in other contexts. I like the hand-rendered stylise as it reflects the craftsmanship of the beer itself. It is unique and really enhances the brand as a new competitor in the ale market. Although I am not entirely sure of the design of the hat, as it has a bulge coming out of it which I feel ruins the fluidity of the design. Overall I think this is a bespoke piece of design and it will achieve the aim of becoming a recognisable design.


No comments:

Post a Comment