Monday, October 26, 2015

OUGD403 Study Task 03 - Drawing the Detectives

Today we were set the challenge of producing a graphic reinterpretation of a given Agatha Christie novel. I was given at random 'Death Comes as the End'.

Death Comes as the End

  • Historical mystery novel
  • Originally published - October 1944
  • Publisher - Dodd, Mead and company
  • A novel of anger, jealousy, betrayal and murder set in 2000BC
  • Only one of Christie's novel not to be set in the 20th century and features no european characters.
  • Notable for high number of deaths
  • Based on some real letters
  • One of four novels not to receive an adaptation of any kind.
After gathering these facts I began to look into the plot of the novel which I summarised in my own notes. I then began to look at visuals of what has already been done.


Pinterest was a really useful tool to use as I was able to gather lot's of visual stimuli. From this it became clear to me that within my design the setting of Egypt needs to be made very clear. 

Initial Ideas
  • Borders - art deco inspired, Egyptian
  • Hieroglyphics - Title - Used as background?
  • Cliff
  • Text - art deco Egyptian
  • Title falling off cliff? 
I found a font on fontspace which uses Egyptian hieroglyphics and typed out the books title.
http://www.fontspace.com/barmee/hieroglify
I used this as a slightly transparent layer for the background. Next I went on to find an appropriate font. I found one suitable called DK Hofstad which resinates elegant art deco.
I then started to play around with designs.


This was initially my final idea but after looking around at other people's cover designs and looking at my design for a longer amount of time I didn't like it as much as it lack sophistication. I think the initial idea was good but I don't think I executed it very well. This led me to go back and think what else I could do and how I could change it to make it look more appealing.


I think this simplistic design is more engaging and seems to have a more cohesive design. I am a lot happier with this outcome and feel the text is bolder and more of the focus than the cliff in the other one. After I had finished my design I uploaded it to the Guardians website where they are celebrating Agatha Christie's 120th birthday.








No comments:

Post a Comment