Sunday, February 26, 2017

OUGD503 Papyrus - Design and Final Submission

Design:
From my research I noticed that most colourings don't use text, I thought this would be interesting to work with, looking at calming words. If you're reading these words while colouring and drawing patterns on them it reinforces it into your head making you feel more relaxed.

I drew out the words in word cloud / collage style to make it appear more interesting and engaging.



To make my lines stand out and appear bolder I took my image into illustrator. 



Although I wish that I could have been more illustrative and interesting with the type to make it more engaging and suiting to an adult audience. I decided that I also wanted to test out doing an image as well to see which I preferred. While drinking a cup of tea I started to think about what relax's me and I realised I was already doing it. So I decided to draw a cup of tea in a surrounding which is peaceful.



Again I needed the lines to appear bolder so I took it into illustrator.



Feedback:
While showing my designs to a peer, they said that they really liked the type idea as it would be individual and it wasn't something they had seen done before. However to improve the design and make it more suitable for an adult audience, they recommended adding patterns onto the text so that it would become more engaging. This was something that I had considered, I had thought that people could even do their own patterns if I left it blank.

Their favourite idea however is my second design, due to it being more visually relaxing. I was concerned that there wasn't enough detail but they said that they thought that the white space actually made it more relaxing as too much pattern and detail can be too much.

From this feedback I am going to submit my second design as I think that this best portrays a relaxing and calming atmosphere which is what the brief wanted. I now need to decide what message to write in the bottom corner about what makes me calm.

'What makes you calm':
- Taking a step back, pausing, and embracing your surroundings.

Capriola:




Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk:


American Typewriter: 


Helvetica:


I have chosen to use American Typewriter as the slab serifs help to give the type more character and emotion, adding more meaning to the words.



Emailed submission:



No comments:

Post a Comment