Thursday, January 21, 2016

OUGD405 Studio Brief 01 - Design Process - Way Finding - Self Reflection & Evaluation

Self Reflection & Evaluation
I believe that my way-finding system has improved upon the original, greatly aiding the user experience. My way-finding was primarily designed with new students in mind but can be used by anyone needing to find a place within IQ. People are immediately able to engage with the large new signage as it improves both readability and legibility. Because I have kept the colours of the design the same as the companies branding, it allows the way-finding system to be bought in smoothly and works in cohesion with any other materials such as posters. The illumination of the signs will help make the signs visible outside at night and in poor weather conditions. The signs are easy to clean and are low-cost to run which is a huge benefit. However I do think I could have done a lot more for the system such as applied the pictograms to a map, although I wasn't able to acquire a map of the building. I also should have created a sign labelling what floors different flats were on, I had intended to do this but I ran out of time for this project. I found this brief challenging as it was something I had never done before, I think I have been reasonably successful but maybe could have been more adventurous with my designs. I also struggled to manipulate the images effectively within photoshop so this is something I definitely want to improve.

In reference to the brief I believe that I had clarity, consistency, and coherence in order to guide the user through an environment in a consistent, convenient and safe manner. I also made sure to try and make my designs as legible as possible. I again struggled with the idea generation but I did try to consider lot's of different things as to have more informed design decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment