Friday, January 22, 2016

OUGD405 Studio Brief 02 - Design Process - Information Design - Stock Considerations & Printing

After creating the designs in photoshop I needed to create the leaflet in InDesign which I had never used before. From the tutorials I was able to set up my leaflet correctly and get it ready for a double sided print. Unfortunately after first testing the design out on normal A3 printing paper I had already spotted a problem. The fold marks did not match up on both sides of the design when printed. This would make it difficult to fold my leaflet up accurately. However when speaking to the computer resource guys they said it could mean that there printers need realigning and that it would be fine when I go down to digital print.

Stock considerations:

  • Antalis Olin Digital Regular High White 200gsm
  • Antalis Olin Digital Regular Cream 200gsm
  • Antalis Olin Digital Regular High White 300gsm
  • Iprint Digital Silk 300gsm
After testing out these four different paper stocks I again ran into the same problem on two of them. Antalis Olin Digital Regular High White 300gsm and Iprint Digital Silk 300gsm printed with the fold marks heavily misaligned. I am unsure whether that is due to the thickness of the paper, but the technician said that sometimes this can happen when printing double sided. That left Antalis Olin Digital Regular 200gsm in High White and Cream which had both printed out with more accurate fold marks. After cutting down and folding them both up I found the high white to be more appealing as it gave a higher contrast and didn't make the other colours look a bit off. I think 200gsm was the appropriate paper thickness as it was easy to fold, isn't as heavy and its cheaper.

Final printed design:












No comments:

Post a Comment