Friday, January 22, 2016

OUGD405 Studio Brief 02 - Design Process - Information Design - Feedback and Self Evaluation

Feedback from others:
I asked my boyfriends mum for feedback on my leaflet as she has 6 year old daughter. She expressed that as soon as she saw the leaflet the design was very obviously for young children. It is easily understandable and something that they would clearly engage with. As a parent she would give this to her child as it's done in an informative non scary way which will get the message across to children clearly. She also liked the interactiveness, how children could colour in or draw on the leaflet. 
Feedback from my peers was very similar, they thought that the doodle idea had turned out really effectively and they could see children engaging with it, as from the typography to the illustrations it all mimics a child's style. However they said that the body of text might be better in a clearer typeface as it will improve readability and legibility for children. The concise information also makes it easier for a child to remember and characters help to put the message across without 'telling them off'. Overall they believed it to be a friendly design approach that appeals accurately to the target audience and portrays the message in the best way for a child to learn.

Self Evaluation:
I really enjoyed this project as designing for kids is quite fun! It allowed me to be childish in my designs and not worry about it looking perfect. I think I have developed an appropriate tone of voice for my target audience, something children will easily engage with. I think I should have done a bit more research into children's leaflets and books so that I have everything covered when designing for children. I think in the feedback it was right to say that the typeface for the body of text should have been clearer to improve readability and legibility, although it does fit in with the rest of the design. I think the accordion fold is easy for a young child to follow although there is no particular order to reading the leaflet. The design just makes it a bit more engaging to follow rather than opening one page and reading a ton of info, it allows the necessary breaks for children to process the information. When doing my colour research I feel I chose the appropriate colours although I wish I could have tried to incorporate yellow into the design as that is linked to a child's memory, which would increase the chance of them remembering the information. Overall I am happy with design although I was worried it looked too childish like I hadn't put much effort into it but I was just trying to get a style children could associate with.

No comments:

Post a Comment