Thursday, April 27, 2017

OUGD503 Studio Brief 03 - Project Report

Studio Brief 03 - Project Report

Overall I found this module to be really engaging and valuable as I have learnt how to work on professional briefs as well as with others. Working on professional briefs means working to client requirements and time restraints which has been challenging at times. Also a higher level of professionalism was needed to make sure designs were fit for real world application.

For one of the smaller briefs for studio brief 01, I undertook the Penguin book cover design competition. I produced an outcome for the cover of 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote. I really engaged with this brief as I found the research and idea generation the most fun part as I could be as creative and free with my ideas as possible. I wanted to create a unique design that takes a more conceptual approach, as I have a love for developing strong concepts. I tried to keep my design contextual referenced by applying a pop art / psychedelic style, which was around when the book was published, by the use of contrasting colours that produce a high impact visual. I have also become more aware just how important feedback is, as I was able to make the necessary changes to produce a more succinct design. I found it difficult working with typography, selecting the most appropriate as well as positioning on the page was something that I struggled with. Gaining feedback for this was really beneficial as this is an area that I want to improve and gain a better understanding. Even though it is a competition brief it has felt more relaxed and I have been able to enjoy the work as it hasn't felt too intense and the work has been manageable.

For my other smaller brief I took part in the Papyrus colouring book brief, which allowed me to produce work that is going towards a good cause. This was one of the main reasons I was attracted to this brief as it allows for my design to do good. As well as that it sounded like a fun brief that would be quite relaxing to do, free from the pressure of a bigger competition. Initially I felt quite stuck for ideas as I wanted to produce something different, something that hadn't been done before. I also wasn't all that confident with my drawing abilities, and it is a skill that I want to work on and improve. After submitting I didn't really think that it would go any further as I wasn't confident in the design. However, hearing that it got shortlisted has really given me a confidence boost, and has shown me that I need to have more self belief. I think that this was really good for me as confidence in my work is something I really lack. It also made me create an instagram account, encouraging me to put more of my work out there. Overall I have really benefitted from this small brief as I've got a lot out of it, and it has encouraged me to keep getting things out there.

I chose to do YCN's, The Grown Up Chocolate Company's brief as part of my big brief for studio brief 01. I chose this brief because of my interest within packaging design, and this allowed me to explore that further. I have found this brief to be extremely challenging as I really struggled to come up with strong design ideas. I think this was due to the brief being to broad and maybe I wasn't quite connecting enough with the humorous nature of the brand. I struggled to try and inject humour into the design but I have kept the design fun and playful. I think that this brief would have worked better if I had worked collaboratively with someone else as I would have been able to bounce ideas around. It has felt like a big project to take on by myself due to the extra requirements of mocking up a webpage. However I think that the challenge has been really beneficial as it has pushed me out of my comfort zone.

Working with the net was also challenging trying to apply the design correctly so that it would look right when 3D, it was using a more practical way of thinking that I really enjoyed. I have struggled slightly with time management as I was so stuck for ideas at the beginning of the project that really held me back. Next time I will try and get more feedback and support if I am struggling for ideas as I realise how detrimental that can be to a project. I have enjoyed working on a more professional brief but because I struggled with it, it has made it less enjoyable. Although, I am reasonably happy with my final design as it is more abstract and expressive than I would usually do, and I believe that I met all the requirements and guidelines within the brief.

Studio Brief 02 working collaboratively on D&AD's Fur For Animals brief has been the most enjoyable part of the module. I really enjoy working with other people as I understand the importance of how it can produce a more developed design. Working within the team has been really beneficial to work on my communication skills. Discussing ideas and working together to produce a successful outcome has been really rewarding. Although I didn't physically create the design or animate the video, I have really enjoyed helping with the art direction, developing ideas and organising. Art direction is something that I am really interested in and I felt like that was one of my main roles within the group as well as developing the campaign further. The only negative would be that I wanted to take on more of a design role as I haven't really got anything that I have physically produced. However, I do think the job roles were appropriate, Kieran being an illustrator did the illustrations, and Ed feeling more confident on after effects than me, working on the animation. The video that we have produced works well as it doesn't shock or scare but takes a softer approach through the style. This way people will be more receptive to the message and create a more personal connection with the character. I believe our team worked extremely well together and this is clear through the successful animation we have produced.

Working in a team on a professional brief allowed for the more refined professionalism of the overall outcome. It also provided the necessary pressure so that everyone worked and stuck to deadlines. I definitely want to undertake more collaborations in the future as I am really proud of what we have produced, and hopefully I will be able to take on more of a hands on role and further develop my art direction. Working with people from other disciplines is something I am interested to do further as I can see the potentials to produce really good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment