Sunday, April 8, 2018

OUGD603 Brief 07: The Clash - I'm Not Down (Research)

The Clash - I'm Not Down (Research):

I decided to make a quick mind-map after listening to the song a couple of times to see if any words spark any ideas.



The Clash were and English rock band formed in London 1976, were key to the punk rock movement. The Clash's politicised lyrics, musical experimentation, and rebellious attitude had a far-reaching influence on rock, and alternative rock in particular.

I'm Not Down was released in 1979 on their London Calling album track 17.

The lyrics are sad and depressing, but heavily defiant. They describe a narrator who has taken a rough deal in life but is putting on a brave face and facing life head on ("I've been beat up, I've been thrown out, but I'm not down, I'm not down").

There is a specific section where Mick Jones refers to an incident in 1978 where he was attacked by a gang of rockers in the street:
"On my own I faced a gang of jeering in strange streets
When my nerves were pumping and I Fought my fear in
I did not run, I was not done"

Punk Art/Design:














Style:
- Collage
- Cartoon drawings
- Hand-lettering
- Rub-down lettering
- Ransom-note lettering
- Stencils
- Rubber-stamping
- Black and white photocopying
- Fast 
- Messy
- Unpolished
- DIY

I could try and incorporate punk style into my design to reflect the style and genre of the band. I would also like to work more with hand-lettering and collage style which would encourage me to work in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment