Wednesday, November 23, 2016

OUGD503 Penguin Random House UK Student Design Award 2017 - In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences by Truman Capote

I have chosen to design the cover for 'In Cold Blood' particularly because it's a book that I would want to read myself and has been likened to a thriller, which is my favourite genre. I think that I will be able to connect and get more involved with this book and hopefully portray something interesting on the cover.

The first thing that I want to do is try and read the book to get a better understanding of the message and what it is trying to communicate, as I think this could aid the design. If I don't read the whole book I want to at the very least read summaries and plot themes etc.

I think that it will also be beneficial to look at previous cover designs for this book as I want to try and use this to come up with something unique and engaging.

Classic cover designs:












Within these examples type is played around with quite experimentally colours are also stark with the black, white, red and orange, or muted to reflect age. Within all of these designs it is clear that the book is a crime book and something to do with history and murder, presented in quite a chilling way. Old photos and newspaper style type are used as well, so this is something I might want to avoid or see if I can use it in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment