Saturday, November 5, 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 01 - Layout Design (Digital)

Layout Design (Digital):
From the feedback I have received it was clear that I will be working with an A5 portrait format due to it directly relating to the content. I am going to mock up some of the proposed layouts for the content. I do not want to use a grid for my images because I don't want to give much order to the design, I want it to be free and as if someone has just come and wrote in the book. A grid would make it look to rigid and less expressive which would go against what I am trying to achieve which is showing how handwriting is individual and unique.





Feedback:
After showing these mock up layout to my peers it was preferred if the handwriting had it's own space on the page - so one handwriting per page or one across a double spread. This was also something I had identified when looking at Craig Oldham's Handwritten Letter Project. Allowing the handwriting it's own space draws more attention to it and allows the eye to analyse it more. When there are two or more on a page it's almost like they are fighting for attention or the eye just casually brushes over them. 

It has also been suggested that I play around with scale as this could help support the handwriting, whether it was done nervously or big/bold. It will also help to provide more interest on the page drawing in the eye.

The double page spread works really well to grab attention and make use of the space. White space is utilised well as it was felt that if there was anything else on the page it would draw attention away from the handwriting. The blankness of the page adds to the feel of realness, as if it has just been written in.

It was suggested to have the information of the person on the same page as the handwriting but I personally think this will draw away from the handwriting as it will impose on the page. As well I feel it takes away an interactive element where the reader has to find out who did the handwriting - it takes away the element of surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment