Monday, November 7, 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 01 - Embossing

Embossing:
After thinking more in depth about what finish I could add to my book front cover I have decided to go with embossing. The reason for this is because it is a traditional technique that will leave a textured impression. It relates to the content of my book by helping to add personality and that hand-made style. Due to the resources available to me at the college I would be embossing by using type used for letterpress. This was the next stage in typography from handwriting - lead type - so I feel that it still has contextual value. I also don't want it to be completely visible, I want it to intrigue and make people want to find out the content.

Letterpress type that's available:





I wanted to choose a typeface that was similar to the one used within my publication but also reflecting the traditional nature. I chose to work with Times Bold 48pt working all with upper case letters.

I set my type in the chase and made sure that it was held together firmly in place so that the type wouldn't shift. The type also has to be set backwards so that it will print the right way up. Luckily as I was only working with one word it wasn't too difficult or time consuming to assemble.


I put the type face up and placed my stock over the top, positioning it where I wanted it to go. I then put it through the press making sure to add a bit of pressure but not so much that it will crush the lead type. 

Unfortunately on my first attempt I hadn't applied enough pressure so the word isn't very visible.


After applying a bit more pressure the embossed relief was more visible and so I will be using this for my front cover.


The front cover stock that I used is:
CAIRN ECO KRAFT
A1
170gsm
57p
It provides the right texture and weight that I want, standing up to wear and tear, while having the rustic effect of a sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment