Friday, November 11, 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 01 - Evaluation

Evaluation:
Although I initially struggled with the brief I think that I have come up with an interesting concept to work with and something that I enjoyed doing. One of the things that I found hard with regards to collecting the content for the book, was having the confidence to go up to strangers and asking them to do it. This could have broadened the type of people I was getting which therefore would improve the content. I hope in the future I will have the confidence to ask people as this will give me more confidence within my work. I found this project interesting as I could research into the number of different print processes. Having a basic understanding of them will be beneficial and prepare me for when I must work with real printers. Overall I believe that I have achieved my aim of creating a publication which works cohesively with the content. I have also achieved my objective of understanding the different processes involved in the production of a publication.

I think what I found most challenging was working with a content that required a simple design. This made me less confident with what I was doing as I didn’t know how far to take it, whether I had put enough into it, or how effective it is. I think that this confidence will come with time when working more with simple designs. One issue that I came across when working with double sided prints on a laser printer is that there may be a slight misalignment, this is something that I need to be aware of. I also struggled with cutting the publication down accurately, I think that I need to take this process more slowly and carefully, because getting it wrong just causes the quality to go down but also costs time and money if it’s wrong. 

I have also learnt lots of different techniques of bookbinding and finishing techniques like embossing. These are useful skills to have because I can apply them to other projects. What I enjoyed doing the most is seeing my idea being made and having it as something real to hold in my hands. I now understand the processes involved and the time and effort it takes to produce a successful publication. If I was to do it again I would change the front cover as I feel like that could be improved to make it more noticeable. I would also take greater care when cutting down the publication to ensure there is quality control. As well as that I will make sure the bind is tight or I would use glue to keep it together. Overall I have created a successful publication which could be produced on a small run.

Edited Photos:
These are a few of the best photos of my publication.


























No comments:

Post a Comment