Saturday, January 14, 2017

OUGD503 Penguin Random House UK Student Design Award 2017 - Idea 2

Penguin Random House UK Student Design Award 2017 - Idea 2 (Development from idea 1):

Taking on the feedback that I received I began looking at working with a black background. There were however issues that arose from this as the text would have to be changed to white, but this still wasn't legible enough, especially white on yellow. When highlighting the text, trying to figure out what to do, it created a nice box which made the text stand out off the page. Placing black text in white boxes helped to make the text stand out off the page, it also reminded me of newspaper headlines, highlighted text which I think helps it still relate to the content.



The yellow on the black provides a strong contrast that grabs attention immediately. The colours being similar to that of crime scene tape helps it remain relatable to it's genre. I have decided to keep the main headings with the typeface droid because the elongated, narrow letterforms seem cold and emotionless. 

However as this typeface does not work at a smaller scale I have used Futura for the sub heading and the blurb on the back page. Futura works well with droid to help represent the time period of the 60's - I want every piece of the design to work cohesively and to have a reason.

I am really pleased with my outcome as I think that it is eye-catching, and unique, something that hopefully hasn't been done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment