Sunday, January 8, 2017

OUGD504 Studio Brief 02 - User Experience in the App's I Use (RESEARCH)

User Experience in the App's I Use:
I think that it will be beneficial to look into the user experience on some of the apps that I regularly use. This will help me to identify possible aspects that could help me when thinking about my own app design.

Facebook:


I use Facebook's application regularly, it is probably one of my most used apps. One of the main features that keeps me glued is the scrolling newsfeed, I tend to spend a lot of time scrolling through all of the different things. Facebook has also started showing more personal content based on your likes and friends. I think this is important as it helps connect and have a more personal feel with the user. However some of the content is still not that relevant or not something that I want to see. 

Facebook has also now made a market place as one of its main application buttons this is not something that I am particularly interested in, but it seems to be one of the main features of the app now. Overall Facebook has become easy to navigate after using it for a while, but I remember initially because of how many hamburger icons it was difficult to find the content that you wanted to view - like events.

Uber:


Uber's app is something I also use very regularly, the ease of use paired with the sleek design attracted me immediately. What is particularly good is the limited amount of actions needed to order a taxi, and the link to your bankcard. Not much thought needs to go into it, users can perform the action quickly and easily. The rating system also helps to attract a social media element as well as gaining feedback quickly, making it a necessary action. 

Being able to watch your taxi on the map is extremely good interactivity, the user feels in control. Lastly within some cars you are able to link your Spotify account and choose the music for your ride, this is brilliant because again the user feels in control and it makes their journey more enjoyable. Overall I think Uber is an excellent app as the user experience is thought out and works well.

Instagram


Instagram is also a big one for scrolling, that it how all of it's content is laid out, and it works at getting users to scroll for a large amount of time. The ease of double tapping a picture to 'like' it becomes so easy and second nature. The large visual images and appeals because in way not much thought goes into an image, it's just about whether it looks good.

Dice


Dice is a relatively new app which allows you to search events in your area and buy tickets with no booking fees. It also has it's own news feed keeping you updated within the world of music. This makes buying a ticket to an event quick and hassle free, with the process being so slick it only takes a couple of taps if you have connected your bank card. The design is bright and engaging with an energetic atmosphere. Again it takes advantage of scrolling, making it as easy to find an artist or event that suits you. As well as making personal suggestions on what you might like.


Scrolling seems to be a big feature within many of the big app heavyweights, this is definitely something I want to consider including as it will help to increase time spent on the app. Personalisation is also something that seems to create a good connection with the user, the content they are receiving is unique to them making them immediately more interested. Avoiding content that isn't wanted or needed, trying to not overcomplicate something is very important, in this example that would be Facebook marketplace which to me doesn't seem necessary. Reducing the amount of actions a user has to do to complete something is also something that works extremely well, as peoples attention spans are shorter online, it is better to make things as simple, clear and easy as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment