Monday, January 9, 2017

OUGD504 Studio Brief 02 - Evaluation

Evaluation:

I have found this brief to be extremely engaging as I have not done any digital design work previously. Although the basic principles within design are still there, there is also a lot to consider and understand. This has felt quite overwhelming at times, as it has become clear that understanding the process, roles and collaboration, are extremely important to produce a good design. Thinking about the user experience has also added another layer to the design process and requires a different way of thinking that I have had to come to grips with.

Being clear and concise with design was one of my main objectives and I think I have achieved that by keeping layouts simple and not overcomplicating anything. It needed to have some level of attractiveness to gain interest from a student based target audience, but I believe that the simplicity with colour aids the bright attractive images, it helps support the content. I also believe that I have tried to make the design as accessible as possible by adding different navigation methods such as swiping, tapping, scrolling and voice control.

I have struggled with learning all the information because there are so many different considerations and things to be aware of. I have enjoyed this process, and I think now that I know these bits of key information it will aid me on another project to do with digital design. Time consideration and lack of confidence is also something that I have struggled with, at times I felt out of my depth, I wanted to create a working mock-up or animation to show features. This is something that I can learn from, and if I needed help, not being afraid to ask, as this is the only way I will develop. As well as the fact that collaboration seems to be a big part of digital design.

Overall I have enjoyed this project as I have felt like I have learned some valuable skills and I am aware of the impact digital design is having. I think that I have reached out to my target audience keeping it easy to use and navigate, as well as the different ways to interact with the app. Communication was key within my design and working with type size was important to effectively show the hierarchy of information.


If I was to do this project again I would try and get as much feedback as possible within the different stages of the app, this is extremely important for the app to develop. Trying to mock up a working/animated/navigable prototype was something I shouldn’t have shied away from and will be a very good skill to have. But I am happy with what I have learnt and hope to tackle similar briefs with a better understanding and a quicker more thorough approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment