Thursday, January 5, 2017

OUGD504 Studio Brief 02 - Heading Typefaces (DESIGN)

Heading Typefaces:
For my heading I want to choose a typeface that is bold, fun and engaging. I want it to appeal to my target audience but also be as accessible as possible. Using Google Fonts, which are all Open Source typefaces allowing me to use them with no problems of licensing, I have chosen a few which I think are appropriate to my design.

Roboto by Christian Robertson
The forms are largely geometric, but it features friendly open curves. Roboto is featured in more than 8,614,283 websites. 
(Shown below - Medium)



I really like this typeface as I think that it has an extremely friendly nature with nice smooth curves.

Montserrat by Julieta Ulanovsky
Letterforms as spaced more evenly apart and it has a lower x-height then the previous typeface. Montserrat is featured in more than 2,915,017 websites.
(Shown below - Regular)



Because of the smaller x-height it has a more condensed, stretched out view, which seems more pleasing to the eye. It also has effected the colon at the beginning, moving the dots closer together which has effected the ':P' emoticon (this would be used for the app icon.

Capriola by Viktoriya Grabowska
This unique style draws upon forms seen in handwriting and italic types. Inspired by quick handwriting and based on a single hand movement (G,a,g,k,e). 
(Shown below - Regular)



I particularly like this typeface for some of its more unusual letterforms like 'a', yet still remaining legible. It seems to be a playful typeface that has energy and less rigid nature.

Feedback:
The third typeface was preferred as it was considered a lot more friendly and approachable than the others due to its curved edges. The shape of the letterforms is more engaging as they have more character, giving the typeface a sense of personality.


Chosen Typeface:
Capriola by Viktoriya Grabowska
I have chosen this typeface because of it's nice bold stroke width that will stand out on a small screen. The rounded edges also help it seem friendly and fun, particularly the free-hand nature of certain letterforms such as 'a', are interesting and playful that would appeal to younger audience while remaining professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment