Saturday, January 14, 2017

OUGD503 Penguin Random House UK Student Design Award 2017 - Idea 3

Penguin Random House UK Student Design Award 2017 - Idea 3:

During one of my feedback sessions it was recommended to try out different bird poses to see what effect that would have on the overall design.

Finding another image of parrot, I thought that this headshot could provide quite a striking image.




Taking it in photoshop again to remove the background.


After removing the background I took the image into illustrator to create a strong block silhouette.

Again, like with my first idea it produced a strong image, that would be visually engaging. To relate to my idea of the yellow parrot, it needed to be changed to yellow in photoshop.


Compared with the first image of a parrot that I worked with in my first idea, this parrot seemed a lot more friendlier. It seemed to be trusting, with the way it's beak comes together like a smile.

Mock up of the idea:


Organising type around the image was something that I struggled with, to try and produce a more interesting arrangement. I think to me this looks like possibly an old sci-fi book, maybe due to the large amount of white space paired with the typeface. I was struggling to find a place for the sub heading on the front cover but I think where I have positioned it creates more drama, immediately setting the tone.

However, personally I do not think this design is as strong as the previous, the back cover seems to let the design down a lot, this could be something to consider making better.


No comments:

Post a Comment