Tuesday, January 17, 2017

OUGD503 YCN - The Grown Up Chocolate Company - Initial Ideas

Initial Ideas:
To help start getting my ideas flowing I did a brainstorm of all the things that I could think of in relation to the brief.



Ideas possibly to take forward and visualise:

- Mystery box, although it could be seen as very cliche, I want to try and create a sophisticated approach that will show that it is for adults while being in tune with their childish side. Possibly creating a pattern using question marks, looking into foiling and lasercut.

- Surprise, going along with the idea of the joy children get from presents and surprises, I want to try and somehow capture the expression of surprise on the box in a fun and engaging way.

- Gift, I could also tie in the traditional connotations of a gift (ribbons, bows) but trying to add a more surprising twist.

- Platform, use a basic, simple design to elevate and enhance the products inside.

Rough sketches:

Surprise:
I began by drawing out the expression of surprise, looking at which features of the face best capture the emotion. I want to work further with eyes and eyebrows to see what effect that could have.



Mystery:
My initial idea was to create question marks into a repeating pattern, this is something that I want to work with further and create a digital interpretation.



I have found it quite hard to sketch out ideas so I am going to try and create some digital versions of some of these aspects. Hopefully that will help to spark more ideas where I can go back to pen and paper to properly plan out the packaging.

Feedback:
After talking through some of my ideas with my peers they really like the idea of working with the expression of surprise. This because it already has links to the current brand creating a nostalgic feeling of childish surprise. Although it has been noted that it could come across to childish and not reflect the target audience. If I was to take this route I will need to come up with something that is appropriate for the target audience but still has that hint of humour. They thought that my second idea although less original, could produce a really good pattern and an interesting outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment