Monday, October 17, 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 01 - Coptic Binding Practice

Coptic Binding Practice:

This is one of the methods that I have looked into further for my publication. It was tedious and requires time and patience, but I believe that the result of the book really pays off. For this example I used 4 signatures of 3 pieces of paper, to create a nice even spine. To make sure I got the process right I took it slowly which paid off as I didn't make many mistakes. It works by threading through the spine and leaving loops on the outside of each hole. This could become problematic if you don't leave enough thread. To tighten the loops you would pull along the spine so as to not tear the paper. This was probably the most difficult part as I feel that my mock up could have been potentially tighter. After a lot of wear and tear the pages may not lie straight on the spine, if it is not tight. I would not choose this method to produce a publication on a large scale as it would take too long and wouldn't be cost effective, however as I am only doing a small run it will work and add an extra element to the design overall.






No comments:

Post a Comment