Saturday, October 1, 2016

OUGD504 Study Task 01 - Type in context presentation

Study Task 01 - Type in context presentation

I need to format my summer brief research project into an engaging visual presentation. I should aim to communicate an overview/selection of my images and annotations in a clear and engaging format. Considering the feedback I would like to receive and how this could inform my approach to the presentation.

Mandatory Requirements:
- 3 minute visual presentation
- Selection of your images and annotations formatted as a PDF presentation

Deliverables:
- Blog post containing your images and annotations
- PDF presentation


My Presentation (with notes):


For my concept I have looked at typography within my very messy bedroom, looking at everyday objects where typography is usually overlooked. It’s basically my mundane world.


The purpose of it is to display the name of the festival. It is effective as a bold sans-serif type is used, which improves readability and legibility. Consistent stroke width is used to help the weight stand out against the patterned background. Rounded edges appear friendly and open which is in line with what a festival wants to achieve.


The purpose of this letterform is to be fun and engaging. The 3D element adds to the playfulness of the type. Seeming to be aimed for a young audience, clear bold letterforms like this stand out and are easy to read. Capitalisation adds to the dramatisation of the letters to really grab attention.


It’s purpose is to clearly highlight the brand name. The letter form has a consistent stroke width which helps to improve readability. The italicisation gives the sense of movement, regarding the sports nature of the brand.


The purpose is to attract attention by being bold and fun. The stroke width has a handwritten feel which adds to the playfulness of the type, effectively standing out. It is clear and easy to read due to the bold stroke.


The purpose it to be bold, striking and draw immediate attention. This achieved through the hard edges and the vibrant colour. This all makes it very easy to read, although the kerning when placed next to other letters is very tight so would be difficult to read from a distance.

Feedback:
As I was not first to present it allowed me to see how a couple of people had presented their concept. It made me realise that I didn't need to go through and analyse letterforms, I needed to show my thought process and the concept that I was considering doing. As nervous as I already was this did initially make me feel less prepared, but as long as I was clear and concise with the concept I know it would be fine. The feedback I received was extremely beneficial as it made me realise the problems but also showed me the potential the basic idea has.

- It needs to be a lot less personal, it needs to have a commercial value as to why others would buy it.

- I NEED a target audience.

- Look into observing everyone else's norms.

- Personal spaces, could still follow the theme of 'The Bedroom' but look at different people's not just my own.

- When taking photos of objects, zoom out to help give more context to the location.

- Possessions, looking at people's favourite things, looking at the type on possessions that are usually overlooked.

From this feedback I really want to look into people's possessions more. It has made me think of 'Humans of New York', which is something I could potentially look at for inspiration. I also need to consider taking new photos and quickly so that this doesn't hinder the rest of the production.



No comments:

Post a Comment