Thursday, October 6, 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 01 - Preparation for Friday Crits

Preparation for Friday Crits

After talking to Simon about my concept with my photos, it became clear to me that my idea was too complicated and didn't have a selling point, or target audience. I decided to start again from square one, and now that I know the brief consider taking photos that would be better suited for it. 


1. Graffiti Tags (Art and Photography / Zine)

I propose for my publication to take a look into graffiti tags within an urban area of Leeds. It will be looking at the reason why people tag places, objects, buildings etc. The illegal nature and the link to gang culture. Graffiti is something that can be historically traced as a part of human nature, through tribal markings, and it is still very relevant today. The purpose of the publication is to let the reader through the content (mainly imagery) decide whether graffiti is an art-form or vandalism. The target audience will be people that are interested in the urban arts and creatives/artists. Regards to production, graffiti is usually placed on pretty bleak grey backgrounds to give an inject of colour, so maybe within the layout and design I should take this into account.

Images examples:





2. Handwriting 'Hello' (Art and Photography)

My second proposal for my publication is looking into people's handwriting and how it differs from masculine to feminine, personalities, disabilities etc. I would stick with just the one word 'Hello', taking zoomed in shots of the writing. From a young age we are all taught to write in the same way but handwriting still differs from person to person. The purpose of this publication is to highlight that even through our writing humans are all different. It highlights individualities. The target audience for this publication is people interested in personalised type and typography. Regarding production I could stylise it like how handwriting was taught and use that for inspiration within the design.

Image examples:





3. Preferred Route
I am unsure which direction to go in as I believe that with both concepts I would be able to get fully behind them and produce interesting publications. I am hoping that the feedback that I receive will point me in the right direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment