Wednesday, October 26, 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 01 - Front cover ideas - Type Alignment

Front cover ideas - Type Alignment 

For the front cover of my publication I am going to emboss the title of my book - 'HELLO'. Im not going to have any other information on the front, I want it to intrigue and still have that journal/notebook quality. I don't want anything to distract from what the main point of the book is, embossing will leave a nice texture that adds to the handcrafted nature. This means that the position of type is important to convey the right message and attract the reader.

I sketched out 9 possible type positions and went round and asked my peers for some feedback.



People felt that number 1 with the central position was a classic position and that the design would work well being the central, main focus. Number 3 was also a popular choice as it makes you want to turn over the corner of the page and find out what's inside. Number 4 was very similar in that you would initially turn to page, the placement feels inviting and friendly. One person did like the was that number 5 was placed as they found it playful and fun. With number 6 the eye reads left to right so it is automatically drawn here, however this seems more successful in number 7. Which also relates to where you would start writing on a page. 

From this feedback it is clear that the corners seem to be the favourite as they seem to be inviting you into the book. This is positive as with little information I need something that will be attractive and intriguing enough to make people want to open up and see whats inside. My personal favourites are 3, 4 and 7, I think that they coincide with the content and have a more direct link then some of the other placements. I will need to test out these 3 placements on the card itself before I make my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment