Tuesday, October 25, 2016

OUGD504 Studio Brief 01 - Stock Choice

Stock Choice:
For my publication I want to choose a stock which isn't too thick, but so that you won't be able to see through it. I went into Fred Aldous in Leeds to have a look at what type of stock they had to offer and I have picked a few that I like. 

CAIRN ECO KRAFT 
A1
100gsm
47p 


I like this stock as it has a nice texture and colour, it relates to a handcrafted and personal feel that I am going for. The issue I have is the weight of the paper, I would want to use this for the cover of my publication, but it may be to flimsy and not hold up to wear and tear. Screen printing or embossing/debossing would work well on this as it would have a rustic feel.

CAIRN ECO KRAFT
A1
170gsm
57p


I found the exact same paper again but in a heavier weight, I think this will provide more structure and have a better feel to it. I want it to feel like a notebook or sketchbook and I think the texture coincides with this well.

CAIRN STRAW WHITE
A1
120gsm
87p


I would potentially use this stock for the main content of the publication, 120gsm has the right weight and feel, pages have enough give to be turned easily and mimic an actual journal/sketchbook etc. The texture on the paper will provide more interest then lot's of stark white space. I would use this paper to help add more to the design, it helps it feel more handcrafted.

No comments:

Post a Comment