Tuesday, May 9, 2017

OUGD505 Studio Brief 01 - Final Print & Evaluation

Final Print:
As my design is mainly printed with ink, stock wasn't too much of a consideration as it wouldn't be the most visible. I knew that I wanted it to be crisp white to provide a strong contrast with the blue and pink. I also needed it to be relatively thick as it will need to withstand the heavy amount of ink going on top. I managed to get some A3 white card from the library in college that would be suitable to use.

I tried to create a similar blue and pink to the current branding, as I wanted the design to be recognisable of the festival. I have never tried out the split fountain technique in screen print before so it was a bit of a challenge. I struggled to effectively blend the colours in the middle to create a good gradient. Because of the amount of ink used I found out that I ran out quickly as well as having other issues such as the screen getting blocked with ink. I did a total of about  20 prints with only a couple being successful.


My best print unfortunately had a slightly wonky white border around the edge, but seeing as this had the best gradient I decided to cut it down.

Scan of final print:


Evaluation:
Overall I am happy with my final print but I am disappointed that there is only one copy, as I had done a large number of prints. It was interesting trying a new technique with screen print and I think with more practice it could be really successful. I have struggled with screen print in the past but it was something that I wanted to revisit and try again as I have seen how successful it can be. The overall process felt very rushed as I was struggling with other deadlines so the design isn't as considered as I would like it to be. I do believe that the concept however reflects the festival well, and I have tried to be cohesive in design so that it would relate to any other promotional material, as well as reflecting this years event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment