Saturday, May 13, 2017

OUGD505 Studio Brief 02 - Front Cover Idea 01

Front Cover Idea 1:
Using the legs I had created for an earlier concept, I decided to play around with layout and text. I felt that coming up with a front cover would give me a better idea on how to design the contents of the publication.

I made a quick sketch of the design layout and then I decided to play around with different typefaces. I wanted the typefaces to be bold but friendly, I began looking at similar typefaces to the ones used in Stand Up To Racisms website/campaign.




Arial Black Regular


- Bold
- Striking
- Lacks Character
- Cohesive with graphics

Univers LT Std 73 Black Extended



- Sci-fi 
- X-height low
- Consistent
- Stretched appearance
- Not appropriate

Source Sans Pro Black



- Character
- Commanding
- Bold

Verdana Bold



- Professional
- Consistent
- Bold

Hiragino Sans W8



- Interesting stroke width (end of letterforms)
- Friendly
- Bold
- Stands out

Gill Sans Bold



- Bold
- Friendly

PrimaSans BT Bold



- Even
- Sharp
- Commanding

Within this design I wanted the legs to become a large symbol that would be really engaging and eye-catching. However from the feedback I received it was suggested to play around with the arrangement of type and the scale a bit more as design is quite in your face, setting a commanding tone that doesn't seem approachable. They also felt that these typefaces weren't quite appropriate and to experiment further.

No comments:

Post a Comment