Thursday, May 11, 2017

OUGD505 Studio Brief 02 - Initial Sketches

Initial Sketches:
Using images that I had found I began by trying to sketch out as many ideas as I could, trying to look for symbols and simple graphics.

I found this image from a Black Lives Matter protest march in London, I thought that the message on this banner helped people to understand how people affected by racial hate crime feel, when no one stands up for them or provides support. This could then create sympathy and hopefully people will want to try and start reporting and standing up against racial hate crime.






I then started to think about bystanders and I felt that an eye would be a good representational symbol of watching. Paired with text it could potentially encourage people to help. Even maybe including words or quotes inside the iris to emphasise watching verbal hate.


Next I thought about a mouth or a megaphone with the sound coming out saying 'report hate crime', this would be done typographically arranging it between the sound waves.



I wanted to draw out a symbol of peace so I thought of the hand symbol which is a friendly approach, however it may be to cheesy. I decided to pair with a quote I had found from a victims response to racial hate.


I drew out a hand to represent 'stop' but I am not sure what I would pair it with text wise. I also drew out a speech bubble saying 'call it out' which could be made into a bigger campaign.



Thinking further about to client and their name, I felt like a good symbol to represent it would be tall legs done very simply.


After looking through 'A Century of Posters' by Alston Purvis, I came across this poster by Richard Blank, I liked the bright colours and the suggestion of diversity where I felt I could apply the design to Racism.





Another symbol shows unity through connecting hands/arms. I wanted to create a strong graphic from this with text organised in the gaps to keep a square formation.



While looking for images I came across a cover of the guardians g2 magazine, I really like how the symbol reflects two things, one being the Union Jack the other an arrow. I thought that if I flipped this around and have the arrow pointing upwards to show the action of 'standing', it could produce a strong visual outcome.






No comments:

Post a Comment