Sunday, May 14, 2017

OUGD505 Studio Brief 02 - Graphic Illustrations

Graphic Illustrations:
For my publication I want to produce high impact graphic illustrations that would help to grab attention. Inspired from my research in the May 68 Paris street posters and Saul Bass. As I had already done some initial sketches some of those symbols might be appropriate to use in the publication. I wanted a minimal design that can be emphasised well with colour.

One of the first headings I wanted is 'find the courage', the first thing that came to mind when thinking of that is a bicep indicating strength.


Using this simple outline I scanned the image in and created the graphic in illustrator.


Next, the heading is 'do it right', instantly I felt the appropriate symbol would be a tick as it is understood as being correct or right quite universally.


I also mocked up the joined hands to symbolise unity. I extended two of the arms so that It would fit to the edge of the page.


The last heading is 'engage the good side', based on the information that would be going onto that page I decided to do an eye to represent watching and to hopefully encourage if you see it report it.


I wanted these to be large and striking on the page to create interest and visual appeal. It will also help to break up the information so that it can be more easily understood. Keeping them as black outlines I want them to take up a full page on a coloured background. Using the colour scheme of the client I placed the illustrations onto the bright backgrounds, alternating the colours.





The feedback that I received for these pages was really positive, they felt that it provided a consistent engaging design. The high contrast of the colours drew attention and helps to give the publication character. The symbols also help to emphasise the message of the text providing strong visual language that is accessible and understandable to a wide audience. The tone of voice helps to keep the message light but professional to deliver on a sensitive issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment