Tuesday, March 6, 2018

OUGD603 Brief 03: Development

Development:
Taking my first design idea, I have mocked up a pig hoof print in illustrator and applied an effect to make it look rougher round the edges.



I have also downloaded a free typeface which reflects the constructivist style used by Soviet Russia.

Molot:



This typeface consists of bold letterforms with strong edges - consistent in shape and size making it more legible then some.

I want to play around with placement and scale but initially I have placed it the same as in my sketch.


I started to think about what I could do with the back cover to make it different from the front - I think that putting a human footprint would be a nice contrast and help to highlight the theme within the book.





I tested out the design applying the copy and the footprint. I quickly mocked up a layout only using two colours just to see what effect it has and give me an idea of what it looks like.


I think that this design still needs a lot of work, potentially playing around with scale. I don't know if the design works as it looks to vectored - it needs to have a more printed / rough edge. The type also doesn't really work for the blurb of the text the bold letterforms make it quite hard to read.


Feedback:
Having some brief feedback it was suggested to change the colours and switch them around having a red print with black text and potentially working with the scale of the title.


I tried to play around with the different design but I still don't think that it is right. The colours were to reflect the soviet union flag. I still think the design is lacking something - I think that going back to sketching some ideas might help me to come up with a more concrete idea.


I decided to take away the colour and just work in black and white for the time being - I think this is an improvement but it still isn't working as well as I want it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment