Tuesday, March 6, 2018

OUGD603 Brief 03: Further Development & Feedback

Development:
As I was struggling for ideas I decided to start sketching again this time focusing on some of the animals within the story.

Further sketches:








Edited sketches:



I took the sketches I had done into illustrator where I imaged traced to provide a scaleable vector copy. I also added in and took away lines where appropriate that that they were all about the same shade.

I created a pattern out of the sketches which was added to a swatch so it could easily be applied to a shape.

Typography:

Edo SZ



I wanted to use a typeface for the cover that reflected a paintbrush to reference when the pigs paint the commandments on the barn wall.

Feedback:
They liked the expressive type and felt that it was a good link (the seven commandments painted on the barn wall). The only criticism was that it could be potentially too digital and could look better if I actually did it myself with paint - this is something to consider.

Serifa Std 55 Roman



I liked the hard slab serifs which help the words to become hard and bold, they also reflect a sort of typewriter style which is easy to read.

Feedback:
The back copy text was originally at 12pt but when I showed my design to my peers they said that it needed to be at a smaller scale such as 10pt as this is more appropriate for a book. I made the change and it improved the overall appearance and made the type seem more manageable. 

White background:



Black background:




Pupils have been added due to feedback.



Feedback:
Overall I had really positive feedback for the design, they liked the classic style illustrations turned into a pattern, contrasted against the stark type, providing an engaging visual. The type helps to add that sense of foreboding which is rooted within the story.  I made the changes as suggested with the type size as it is more appropriate for a book cover. It was also suggested to try the design out with a black background, this made the illustrations look like they have zombie eyes. It was suggested to add in black pupils onto all of the animals, this helped to improve the overall look, as they seem less demonic. Generally the white background was preferred as it stands out, having a more classical design. The black provides a more intense contrast but the red copy text seems to get a little lost in the black so would need further work.

No comments:

Post a Comment