Thursday, March 29, 2018

OUGD603 Brief 04: Final Design & Evaluation

Final Design:

















Evaluation:
I wanted to submit to Starpack because of my interest within packaging, I knew that it would be beneficial and I would learn a lot from it being more material focused. I struggled with time constraints during this brief as I was working on two demanding group projects during the same time. I found it hard to give myself enough time to work on this as I didn’t want to let my team down with the other projects. However, because I was working to tight deadlines I have had to make decisions quickly and ask for feedback as much as possible to produce a good design. This actually worked to my favour as I managed to get the project done for the deadline to a good quality and I even got short-listed!

During this project I spent a lot of my time researching as I wanted to come up with a really engaging concept. However, this meant that I didn’t have that much time to complete the design. In the future I need to better manage my time and allow more for different design variations. 

As Starpack is more material focused and tin had to be the core element of my design, I learnt quite a lot about it. I found this really interesting and in the future I want to consider the materials I use within packaging a lot more, as it opens up other design possibilities. Working on a packaging brief was beneficial for me to improve my layout skills and I am hopefully getting more of an eye for what works well.

I managed to mock-up my design really professionally as I used a static electric sticker more appropriate for metal, meaning there were no bubbles in the design. I found photographing the work slightly difficult as the tins kept reflecting the light which put too much of a glare on the design. I did however start to feel more confident with a camera and lighting as I worked to overcome the issues. 

Overall I have really enjoyed doing this project and I did find it challenging as the tea and coffee market is saturated with lot’s of different designs, making it difficult to be unique. I think that I have managed to produce a modern, minimal design, referencing Ethiopian weaving that would hopefully appeal to the luxury coffee market.

No comments:

Post a Comment