Wednesday, March 28, 2018

OUGD603 Brief 04: Ethiopian Basket Weaving (Further Research)

From doing further research I like the idea of basing the design around an Ethiopian coffee ceremony. It was mentioned that the women wears white with bright embroidery patterns, as well as the patterns on the jebana and the cups. I have decided to look at the Ethiopian basket weaving to see the types of patterns they use and the bright bold colours.

Ethiopian Basket Weaving:



Baskets play a major role in Ethiopian culture and society and are seen as functional, decorative, and sacred items throughout the country.




The baskets use bright contrasting colours such as:
- Red
- Pink
- Yellow
- Purple
- Blue
- Orange
- Green

Pattern styles:
- Zig-zag
- Triangle / diamonds
- Swirls

I want to try and create my own patterns in a similar style, but I will need to keep in mind that it is for the luxury market so the pattern might need to be toned down.

No comments:

Post a Comment