Wednesday, March 28, 2018

OUGD603 Brief 04: Pattern Designs

Pattern Designs:

I started by sketching out patterns similar to those on the baskets, but I felt that it would be easier and quicker to mock up the designs in illustrator.




Initial Patterns:



The first pattern I made out of inter-lapping triangles which has created quite a geometric design. I think that this would work well with the luxury style but it might be too far away from the Ethiopian style.


This pattern is very similar to the ones on the baskets but it is quite an intense design so colour would have to be used sparingly.


I like the bold lines and the more simple approach to the pattern but it still relates well to the basket patterns.


This design could also be quite intense but depending on how colour would be applied it could work well.

Feedback:
Showing these initial patterns to my peers the favourite is the 3rd design. It was felt that this would work most appropriately for the luxury market having a simpler design than the others, but still relates to the Ethiopian basket weaving. The thick bold lines also make it stand out attracting attention. I will need to consider how I am going to use colour as I don't want to take away the luxury appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment