Thursday, May 3, 2018

OUGD603 Brief 09: Collaboration with Illustrator

Collaboration with Illustrator:

Based on the research I have done for when designing for children I want to work with an illustrator so that it appeals to children, looks friendly and fun. I asked Megan Ojari as I have seen her style working in paper cut with bold colour combinations and I feel this could really work for the packaging.

Images from Megs instagram:




I asked meg in person as I was already friends with her whether she would be up for doing it. She said yes and to just let her know what I want her to do.

I messaged Meg telling her the 3 flavour juices I was doing and that I wanted to create a pattern for each flavour that had a more hand rendered, paper cut finish. I also asked her to make sure that had bright colour contrasts so that they are bright and engaging.

Meg than double checked what exactly I wanted illustrating to make sure she understood what I wanted. She had been working really fast on this for me which has been good to get a visual idea of what it will look like.

Meg then sent me an email with the patterns that she had done asking whether it was what I wanted for the design.








My reply to meg explained that I really liked the illustration but felt that the pattern might be too rigid and in line.



Meg responded quickly saying she agreed with what I had suggested and would make the changes. As I looked at the design again I felt that there needed to be more distinction between the orange and the lemon. Suggesting adding an orangey hue but still being different from the carrot. I also felt that the lemon and apple pattern might be too busy so asking for the green apple slices to be taken out.



Final Patterns:





Overall I am really happy with the patterns that Meg has created, they have bright, bold colours that catch the eye. The playful style should hopefully appeal to both kids and adults while having a fresh/healthy feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment