Saturday, April 16, 2016

OUGD404 Grids (100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design)

I decided to do some further research in the grid, and gained some valuable information from the book '100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design'.

Grids were found during the early 20th century within everyday printed matter like invoices and ledgers. Once the grid was introduced to graphic design, to organise and help with composition, people either loved it for creating order to disorder or hated it because it was so restricting. 

Josef Muller-Brockman (Grid Systems in Graphic Design, 1961) "the grid system is an aid, not a guarantee. It permits a number of possible uses and each designer can look for a solution appropriate for his personal style. But one must learn how to use the grid: it is an art that requires practice."

I think what Josef has said is one of the reasons I am personally put off by using the grid 'it is an art that requires practice' because I am unfamiliar with it and didn't know how to appropriately use it, I avoided it. 

I have learnt while reading that the grid does serve a very good purpose of providing clarity and I am intrigued as to whether I would be able to try and use the grid to help communicate something more clearly. I think this is something I definitely need to consider when clarity is a key feature within the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment