Monday, April 25, 2016

OUGD406 Studio Brief 04 - Reflective Practice - Speaking From Experience - Ideas

Within this project I wanted to link it in with an area of graphic design that I am interested in, just to highlight how personal interests within graphic design play a role within first year. Therefore I have decided to another packaging piece and see how I could fit the brief around this. Coming up with a packaging design for this brief might be more challenging but I think that I will be able to come up with something that entertains, informs and gives advice.

Here are some of my initial sketches:




I decided to look at motivation and what I like to do while work to sort of keep my head in the game. Usually if I'm about to do a lot of work i'll have some really nice food or sweets and allow myself an amount, if I do so much work. I found that this method actually seems to work for me, and I am able to restrain myself and not eat the whole thing. Therefore I wanted to create a piece of packaging for some brownies as the treat. The packaging would have motivational words / quotes and general tips on how to reduce stress or work more effectively.

With the second idea I remembered about those survival packs that are out there for various different things and I thought that I could create my own. However on further reflection there would need to be a lot going into for the pack to be really good. Within the time frame that I have left it wouldn't be feasible, working on other briefs as well, to get this done to a good standard in time.

The last idea isn't based around packaging but time management is something that I have struggled with and I know that I don't suffer alone. This is why I thought about potentially creating a desk jotter where you would be able to plan out your week effectively. It would also have motivational quotes which I always like to make me feel better, and would even compromise of some LCA information that would be useful to a new student. 

After talking with my peers it was established that my first and last ideas would be the most feasible within the time frame. They really liked the idea of the first one as it is a fun and engaging idea, as a fresher people really enjoyed receiving free goodies. However the problem of someone just eating all of the food without reading the packaging was mentioned but I believe that if I make the design engaging enough this won't be as much of a problem. People really liked the last idea as time management is something a lot of them have struggled with, this would make it clearer that it is important to have routine and plan time so you don't get bogged down. The problem with this design would be in the production side of things as I would need a large amount of sheets to make this pad, I also wouldn't know how to bind it effectively.

I have decided to go with my first idea because in terms of production and time frame I think I would be able to get this done to a good standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment