Saturday, April 2, 2016

OUGD406 Studio Brief 02 - Licence to Print Money - Ideas and Feedback

To start my idea generation for this project I wrote down the different directions that I could take the bank note. I came up with 5 different ideas and presented them to a large group. The feedback that I received was that the strongest original idea was designing a bank note based on British slang and humour. They suggested I look into words that are in the oxford dictionary that are strange, and even look at shakespeare. Look at dialect and different terms for money such as monkey and squid.



Taking the feedback on board I decided to go with the idea of British slang and humour. I wanted to push myself with this project and try something that I am not as familiar or comfortable with, I wanted to try a typographic response. 




I presented the above initial designs for feedback and received some beneficial ideas. One idea was to have the more used and well known slang larger than the more outdated slang to give the words more of a contrast. I was also suggested to look into more slang terms for money to further develop. Traditional British type and stereotypes could also somehow be incorporated. Regarding production - someone said that letterpress would be challenging but I could combine letterpress and screen-print by letter-pressing the big type and screen print the small. 

I was also told to make sure I try different compositional placements of 'fiver'. People generally liked the concept they thought that it was fun and interactive. Someone else suggested that I keep it minimal and rely only on the type.

No comments:

Post a Comment