Wednesday, April 13, 2016

OUGD406 Studio Brief 02 - Licence to Print Money - First Design and Feedback

Using my sketches and the feedback that I have received from them, I have created a digital interpretation:

I also created a version with a background:


However, I do not like the background because there is so much going on with the text it makes the whole design look busy and overcomplicated. The text also loses it's readability and legibility when there is a background.

I decided to show my first design without a background to get some feedback on.

'My concept is based on British slang and humour, so I have produced a typographical response. I plan to utilise both screenprint (for the background text) and letterpress (for the amount, 'FIVER'). I want to try printing on different types of white stock. The typefaces I have chosen are traditionally British.'

Questions:
1. Should I keep the whole print traditionally in black and white or should the background text be a bright colour (neon green) then silver 'FIVER'.

-Experiment with colour more, possibly British colours
-Look at using grey for 'FIVER' as it could add some subtle contrast - colour stock could work - why neon?
-Look at layering colours
-Keep it traditional
-Definitely a sans-serif typeface - the concept and words used seem more modern and youthful so they believe that traditional doesn't relate as well.
-Explore contrasting colours to represent the diversity of the language
-They like the B/W look, like a newspaper and they think that it works but maybe experiment with colour more.
-More muted colours compared to loud neon ones, it may make the design of the note tacky if the colours are too bright.

2. Should I add a background/border or would that make the design look to busy/overcrowded.

-Only text is fine for the design
-The way I have set the text has created a nice border already
-The composition is quite busy and an extra component would over-complicate the design
-No border looks more effective
-Some shape/form could be created but it might be too distracting
-Theres enough going on already
-Adding shapes could ground the words more
-It would become too hard to read with a background - maybe FIVER should have its own space
-Effective without
-It would have to be very faint

3. Any suggestions how I could potentially display/arrange the type

-Maybe try using many different fonts in the background instead of just one
-Maybe opaque black text then strong black fiver
-They really like the composition, although I could maybe explore a concrete poetry or futurist approach
-Maybe focus on rhyming slang of money, as may appear more conceptual
-Look at iconic British typefaces
-Sans serif is less formal more slangy
-Love the arrangement
-Bits 'n' bobs needs another apostrophe 
-Could try using cockney rhyming sland - apples and pears, stairs etc.
-They like the contrast between the two fonts
-Could try moving the word 'FIVER' around and playing around with different sizes
-Experiment with more variation in typeface
-Experiment with weight and size
-A fun concept perhaps use more fun and exciting type - from a far the note looks sinister at the moment
-Letterpress, would be very hard but would look great
-Could try layering the words over each other more

I found the feedback for this project really beneficial and is probably the best that I have received. I have been given lots to consider how I can improve my design and it was really positive to hear that people liked the direction it is heading in. This has motivated me to try and push this even further to try and produce the best resolution I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment