Monday, April 11, 2016

OUGD404 Studio Brief 02 - What is a book? - Design

After reviewing the feedback I had been giving regarding the binding of the book, I decided that I really liked the idea of a binding ring. The reason for this is practically it makes more sense as it would allow pages to be removed - you would be able to take out the recipe that you needed. It would work better because with normal, thick, cookbooks, it's a struggle to keep the page flat and open to what you want. This will also be a lot more easier for me as I will only need to add a hole punch into the pages and put the ring through, therefore it will be less time consuming when it comes to the production. It could also be hung up in the kitchen! 

Binding ring:


Dimensions:
Now that I am binding using the one ring my design will be more of recipe flash cards. I want to keep it relatively compact so will be working 14cm x 14cm for each card. Im working at this size because I want them to be like cook notes, something small that won't get too flimsy the bigger I make it.

Colour:
My illustrations are black and white and I don't want to overcomplicate them by adding colour, I have decided to add colour to the border of the page. It creates a bright pop of colour that is vibrant and draws attention to what information is on the page. I have chosen a two colour theme as suggested in my feedback.

Analogous colour schemes use colours that are next to each other on the colour wheel. Such as green and blue, which match well and  it creates a serene and comfortable design. 



I do particularly like these two colours together and I think that it would produce a nice design. However, I am not sure the contrast is high enough to really stand out and jump out, the colours aren't exciting enough they feel too safe. Although both colours seem to high chroma making them appear very vivid.

Complementary colours when placed next to each other, create the strongest contrast for those particular two colours. Due to this striking colour clash, it makes the colours feel vibrant and have a powerful appeal that draws the eye, this is something more interesting so I am going to use this colour combination with my design.







I have chose blue and yellow because they are bright friendly colours that contrast with each other well, providing a strong visual focus that will engage the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment