Monday, April 11, 2016

OUGD404 Studio Brief 02 - What is a book? - Design

Header typeface:

FunSized:

I like the playfulness and the 3D effect to help give the text more shape and depth. It seems appropriate as is takes on the illustrative style, so would work cohesively with the illustrations.

Peas and Carrots:



I like the variation in stroke width which might fit in more appropriately with the illustration designs. The lines seem to mimic similarly to the lines in the illustrations. This design is also bolder and easier to read then the other two.

PassionTea:



I like the height of this typeface and the stroke is similar to how the illustrations are done - the lines aren't perfectly straight. But, I don’t like some of the letters, in particular the ‘A’, the crossbar is too low and reduces readability.

I have chosen to go for the typeface Peas and Carrots because it seems slightly more structured and the variation in stroke is visually appealing. It also appears to be bolder and seems to stand out a little better than the other two.

I have started to mock up designs for my first card:


Front



For the front cover I have kept the type centrally aligned to keep a central focus with the illustration. I have also utilised white space as it lets the image and the text stand alone and provide more of an impact while the border helps to frame it all, and adds the pop of colour. Header 50pt. Sub-Head 24pt.
Back



I have kept the header type at the top flushed left to allow the eyes to easily read the information. The body text is positioned in one column that works around the illustration so as to limit the amount of white space on the page.

Body typeface:
Bangla Sangam MN - I have chosen to use this typeface as my body text because its is very clear and legible, it works cohesively with the header. The round edges also give off a friendly, informative tone. 12pt - to still be easily read by the viewer.



No comments:

Post a Comment