Saturday, April 16, 2016

OUGD404 Studio Brief 02 - End of Module Evaluation

End of Module Evaluation:

This module has been interesting, it has given rules and reasons for why something is designed in a certain way and what purpose that has. Although, I have also found this module challenging, as there are a lot of things to get to grips with. I think that I may have struggled slightly trying to apply the principles within my designs, although sometimes you apply them without even realising. Next year I hope to have got to grips with them a bit better and try and apply them in more situations as I believe that is what is lacking within my designs especially with studio brief 01. 

One of the first things that we were introduced to on this module was Gestalt principles, what interested me was the psychological aspect this took. I found it to be quite interesting to learn the way in which we interpret image as we essentially look to make sense of the ambiguous. What is good about these principles is they are comprehensive and seem to make sense to me. This is something that I could potentially look into further next year, as I have a strong interest in the psychology of design. I have probably engaged the most with colour theory hence the reason why I chose it for studio brief 01. I found it really engaging and It was something that I actually want to utilize, as I can see the benefits of me understanding it better.

Grids are an area where I have struggled to apply within my designs. I think my mistake was not creating one in the beginnings of my designs. I think the reason I didn’t, is because I didn’t want my designs to be limited and restricted by the grid. I wanted to create something without worrying whether it was staying within the right structure. In hindsight I have been very off about it and I should have been more open to try it, in the future I want to create a grid and apply it correctly to give that sense of structure that maybe my designs lack.

I have found design principles extremely beneficial and it shows how important they can be and when they are to be used appropriately. These rules and principles can do a lot for a design making them cleaner and more memorable. Publication isn’t really an area that I have looked into before although I do have a strong appreciation for layout design within magazines. This module has allowed me to see all the processes that go into it and has made me have a further interest into it and it’s possibly something I want to work with more as the course goes on.

Looking more in depth at certain aspects such as folds and binding hadn’t really been a big consideration to me in the past but now my view on that has changed. I am very aware now how that can actually have a big impact on the overall design and practicality of it. It is something that I have considered more thoroughly within both briefs and I have gained valuable knowledge which has let me create more thought out designs.

Within the typesetting task as I could see the potential of how type can convey different messages and communicate different things. In the future I hope to utilise what I've learnt within this module to work with type in more intriguing and compelling ways.


Within my own publications the main problems that I encountered was down to the printing. Struggling to get a slot in the print room at college was a big issue because going to drop in and that whole process taking 3 hours long just isn’t practical. Next year I am going to book in advance and manage my time better so even if I don’t know when I’m going to print, if I set a goal I’ll work towards getting it ready for print on that day. This will cut out lots of unnecessary stress that it causes and I will be able to get the stock that I want and won’t have to settle for anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment