Sunday, April 17, 2016

OUGD406 Studio Brief 04 - Reflective Practice - Speaking From Experience

The Brief:
I need to produce a graphic response / graphic product / piece of work that makes a statement, comment, observation or gives advice about my experience in first year on this course. Working with any appropriate media or format and developing and identifying the content will it be entertaining, advisory or informative.

Considerations:
I need to think about the new experiences that I have had, the difficulties that I have overcome and the new people I have met and the life skills I have acquired this year.
Remembering what it was like starting my first week, how did I feel and what emotions did I experience? Excitement, trepidation, fear or did I feel overwhelmed. I might have benefited from some advice, opinions and insight from others that have experienced the same transition.

What might I say, do or give to next years graphic design students to make the transition into the student experience, particularly this course more welcoming? 

Idea Generation:



Thinking back to the beginning of the course I can't believe how much I have done and learnt! I think that is why it would be really important to emphasise the importance of being open to new things and not being afraid. One of the main things that I found is that being in this studio environment as well as being beneficial, it can have one major drawback. Constantly comparing my own work to others in the class and just thinking that my designs aren't as good and strong as theirs. I even adapted my style at the start to try and fit in with what was deemed 'the best' in the class. Now, thankfully I know how negative that is and I won't develop as a designer if I think like that, being confident in your work is really important as it comes through the design. After speaking with my peers I found that I wasn't alone in thinking this, therefore I think it is really important to build up and motivate first year students on the course.

I also know that establishing a routine and planning your time is really important because you always under anticipate the work load. Booking a print slot is a lot harder than you think, as you'll need to allow yourself plenty of time to get booked in. A big thing to do is utilise the college's resources as much as possible and book as many inductions as you can!

Creating my own brief:





No comments:

Post a Comment