Monday, April 4, 2016

OUGD404 Studio Brief 02 - What is a book? - Book Binding

Book Binding:
I had a workshop showing me how to do some book binding techniques that I could possibly utilise for my cook book.

Saddle Stitch
I found the saddle stitch a relatively easy bind and it woks simply and effectively. The one thing that I did struggle with was cutting down the pages accurately as it always seemed to move making the cut uneven and the pages not aligning properly together.
This is something I might possibly use for the cookbook as it's simplicity won't draw too much attention away from the instructions within the method.

Japanese Stitch
Uses separate pages bound together instead of double page spreads. This would provide a nice interesting bind, but it would not stand up to the wear and tear that a cookbook goes through so I don't think it would be practical enough. I did enjoy doing it, however I need to get my measurements more accurate.





Concertina book
This method uses quite a lot of glue and can become quite messy. It also wouldn't really be appropriate for a cookbook because you wouldn't be able to keep it on the right page that you want. The pages would become to flimsy and it would get damaged in the kitchen easily. The hardback however is something I could consider as it will strengthen the book.





No comments:

Post a Comment